The Pick 3 game is one of the most popular lottery games in the world and you can now play it in South Africa. Unlike Powerball and Lotto where most of the prize divisions are pari-mutuel (the prizes depend on how many tickets are sold) the Pick 3 game has fixed prizes and a range of bet types and bet amounts.
The odds of each of the six bet types range from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 100 - much better than Powerball or Lotto, however, the prize amounts are not as big. Players can choose to bet R 3, R 5, R 10 or R 20 on each of the six bet types. Even better news for players is that there is a Pick 3 game every day of the week. As with most other Pick 3 games around the world, the most popular bet type in South Africa is the 6-Way Mix as it offers six chances to win and a nice mix of odds and prize value. If you are new to the game, why not try the 6-Way Mix bet?
How to Play Pick 3
Part of the attraction of Pick 3 is its simplicity. It is one of the easiest games to play once you know the basics and easily matches the thrill and excitement of playing Powerball and Lotto. Just follow these three simple steps:
- Choose your bet amount, from R 3, R 5, R 10 or R 20.
- Choose one of the following bet types: a Straight, 3-Way Mix, 6-Way Mix, Front Pair, Back Pair or Split Pair.
- Finally, choose three numbers from a pool of 0 to 9 (you can pick any number more than once, for example, 773) or choose to play a Quick Pick.
Draws take place Monday to Sunday at 20:00.
Odds and Prizes
|Bet Type||Odds||R 3 Bet Prize||R 5 Bet Prize||R 10 Bet Prize||R 20 Bet Prize|
|Straight||1 in 1,000||R 1,500||R 2,500||R 5,000||R 10,000|
|3-Way Mix||1 in 333.33||R 501||R 835||R 1,670||R 3,340|
|6-Way Mix||1 in 166.67||R 252||R 420||R 840||R 1,680|
|Front Pair||1 in 100||R 150||R 250||R 500||R 1,000|
|Back Pair||1 in 100||R 150||R 250||R 500||R 1,000|
|Split Pair||1 in 100||R 150||R 250||R 500||R 1,000|
- Straight (Odds: 1 in 1,000)
- To win with the Straight bet, the three numbers you pick have to match the exact order of the three numbers drawn. For example, if you pick 567 and 567 is drawn, you will win. If you pick 756 and the same 567 numbers are drawn, you will not win.
- 3-Way Mix (Odds: 1 in 333.33)
- A 3-Way Mix bet is when one of the three numbers picked is repeated. There are three different outcomes with this bet type, which is why it is called a '3-Way Mix'. For example, if you pick 565 and one of the following combinations: 565, 556 or 655 is drawn, you will win.
- 6-Way Mix (Odds: 1 in 166.67)
- The 6-Way Mix bet gives you six chances to win and is the most popular bet type. Simply pick three different numbers and if all of those numbers are drawn in any order, you will win. For example, if you pick 654 and any of the following combinations: 645, 654, 465, 456, 564 or 546 are drawn, you win.
- Front Pair (Odds 1 in 100)
- The Front Pair bet offers the best odds but the lowest prize. You win if your first two numbers match the first two numbers drawn. For example, if you pick 654 and 653 is drawn, you will win.
- Back Pair (Odds 1 in 100)
- The same type of bet as the Front Pair, the Back Pair bet offers the same odds and prizes but you need to match the last two numbers instead of the first two numbers. For example, if you pick 654 and 154 is drawn, you will win.
- Split Pair (Odds 1 in 100)
- The Split Pair bet offers the same odds as the Front and Back Pair bets but you only need to match the first and third numbers drawn. For example, if you pick 654 and 634 is drawn, you will win.